For the first time a castle participates to an art week as resident artist: the artificial intelligence inside Castello del Valentino establishes relationships with its inhabitants to self-reflect on energy consumption.
Interactive installation, Opening 3rd Nov, 2017, Castello del Valentino (TO)
Installation’Opening to the public – 10.00 am
Round table – 10.45 am
Over the years, hundreds of artists premiered at the contemporary art week of Turin. This 2017 edition offers something new, a signal of changing times. Historic building and UNESCO heritage site, Castello del Valentino has been officially registered as resident artist of Nesxt Festival, acting as the author of the artwork “ On hot and cold”. The piece is an interactive environment where the so-called “smart” technologies turn themselves into poetry.
The castle has been made sensitive to people presence, movements and stories and tells their climatic adventures, depending on its most elementary components: hot and cold. An algorithmic poem, generated in realtime by digital sensors and bodies comes to life. The result is an immersive experience where visitors can listen poetic texts and generative soundscapes, modulated by temperature variations and by their interactions with the building.
PROGRAM, 4 November 2017, Castello del Valentino Turin
Public opening of the installation
10.45 a.m. – 11.15 a.m.
Guided tour to the installation “Sul Caldo e Sul Freddo”
11.30 a.m. – 11.40 a.m.
- Patrizia Lombardi (director of DIST and coordinator of the Green Team of the Politecnico of Turin)
- Egidio Dansero (UniToGO, sustainability delegate of University of Turin)
11.40 a.m.- 11.50 a.m.
Introduction: the project HOME between art, research and technology
- Salvatore Iaconesi (President of HER – Human Ecosystems Relazioni)
11.50 am- 1.20 pm
Speakers (in alphabetic order)
- Alessandro Bollo ( Polo del ‘900 Director)
- Giulio Lughi (Associate Professor of sociology of cultural and comunicative processes at DIST Dipartimento Interateneo di Scienze, Progetto e Politiche del Territorio)
- Fabio Malagnino (Journalist of Piedmont Regional Council, social, egov/wegov, open knowledge, Torino Digitale)
- Luca Ruggeri (AgID – Agenzia per l’Italia Digitale)
- Elena Piastra (Deputy Mayor of Settimo Torinese , delegates for innovaton, young andintercultural politicies , culture, financial taxes)
- Catterina Seia (Fondazione Fitzcarraldo)
- Giulia Sonetti (Green Team Management, Politecnico di Torino)
Simone Arcagni (Associate Professor at Culture and Society Department of University of Palermo)
Sul Caldo e Sul Freddo is a concept by AOS – Art is Open Source.
HOME is a project born out of the collaboration between Dipartimento Interateneo di Scienze, Progetto e Politiche del Territorio (DIST), PoliTo Green Team, UniTo Green Office and HER – Human Ecosystems Relazioni, and supported by Urbe” – Understanding the Relationship Between Urban Form and Energy Consumption Trough Behavioural Patterns (scientific responsible: Patrizia Lombardi), Siebel Energy Grant.