Some days have passed since the Education is a Commons event, and a summary is needed to be able to have an overview of the scenario which is opening up before our eyes, and about the single most important fact which emerged fro the whole event: Now is the Time to start re-thinking the education system!
First of all: participation. People from 5 continents joined in for an entire week of discussion, representing individuals, organizations, universities, companies, associations, activist groups and, obviously, education hackers from all over the planet.
the final hangout:[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_QahmTVo58&feature=youtu.be]
Here are some useful links:
- the Education is a Commons event page, in which you will find links, resources and discussions;
- the Near Future Education Lab, in which you will find some more discussions, and links to relevant websites and case studies which we used during the event;
- the Recording of the opening Hangout and the TitanPad associated to it, in which links, participants and resources are listed
- the Recording of the closing Hangout and the TitanPad associated to it, in which links, participants and resources are listed
- Near Future of Education: the story so far
- the Near Future Education Lab and the idea of the education system we are developing, we invite to visit you this the page guested by P2P Foundation Wiki: http://p2pfoundation.net/Near_Future_Education_Lab
- Near Future Education Lab FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NearFutureEducationLab/
the opening hangout:[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwk4wNk5gqI&feature=youtu.be]
The most discussed topics:
- The education ecosystem: what is it? How does it emerge and manifest itself? How accessible and inclusive is it in its current form? What organizational models, if any, can be adopted to make it more accessible, inclusive and readable/usable?
- Koinoo, K-Coins, badges and more: a mutualistic currency for the education ecosystem. Reputation capital. Transformation of the current definition of value to a p2p, ecosystemic, well-being oriented one, based on networked trust, participation, mutuality. Understanding the ecosystem and the networks through the currency. A new role for credentials.
- Knowledge Commons, recipes, knowledge and meta-knowledge. Transforming Education into a protocol, like the Internet: an accessible, p2p, network-of-networks. Hypotheses for implementation. A new p2p layer of the Internet protocol stack.
- Ubiquitous Education. Ubiquity through time and space (connect experiences, places and situations for knowledge anytime, anywhere). Ubiquity through contexts (each place is a potential space/time for learning/teaching/knowledge, through the commons and ubiquitous tech). Ubiquity through roles (each one can be teacher, student, researcher, entrepreneur… depending on the context). What about Divides (technological, cultural, age, gender…)?
- the Open Foundation: the role of the open foundation to host, preserve and promote the Knowledge Commons, the Ecosystem, and the value model, enacted through the currency, and as a shell to enact the Wirearchy through which the ecosystem will work.
More discussions are taking place as we speak, and we are starting up the implementation processes for the whole thing: so please join the Facebook Group of the Near Future Education Lab and participate to the discussions and activities, or get in touch with us anyway you can: we want to do it with you!
Below you can find more resources about the event and the overall process:
Some fundamental Facebook Posts in the discussion:
- About K-Coins: https://www.facebook.com/events/225370707673974/permalink/229162060628172/
- About the Foundation: https://www.facebook.com/events/225370707673974/permalink/229157333961978/
- A school with no teachers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NearFutureEducationLab/permalink/697236863646471/
- K-Coins, simulations and design hypothesis: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152600035434384&set=gm.697211260315698&type=1
- K-Coins, badges and the ecosystem (trust, reputation, mutual support, inclusiveness): https://www.facebook.com/groups/NearFutureEducationLab/permalink/696479587055532/
- An open document about the currency and its role in the education ecosystem: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NearFutureEducationLab/permalink/696060870430737/
- Discussion about K-Coins and their implementation and role in the ecosystem: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NearFutureEducationLab/permalink/695524290484395/